We have discussed the use of Garlic as an antimicrobial support for IBS and SIBO.
IBS sufferers also require a calming effect.
Probiotic and polyphenols have shown in research to offer relief from pain by reducing the irritating and pathogenic organisms of the microbiota (the community of the different organisms living in the GI Tract) with friendly and calming bacteria. Probiotics simply competes with irritating or pathogenic bacteria and lowers their numbers. The immune system along with the nervous system relax as inflammation is lowered and with that pain is reduced. These friendly probiotic bacteria are hard workers! See the research below.
Select one or two of the top three calming and reparative Therapeutic Food Synbiotics:
- Supernatant Synbiotic: 1 capsules daily
- Cranberry Pomegranate Synbiotic: 1 capsules daily
- High ORAC Synbiotic: 1 capsule daily
Siebecker and Sandberg-Lewis, co-founders of the SIBO Center for Digestive Health at The National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM), state in their paper, Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth: Often-Ignored cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, that they have used various multistrain and single probiotics as well as yogurt and cultured vegetables with their SIBO patients with good results (2013). They consider avoiding prebiotics such as FOS, inulin and GOS as the main ingredient. However, they also state that these prebiotics may be tolerated in small amounts used as base ingredients.
Soifer and associates pilot study (2010) compared the short-term clinical efficacy of the drug metronidazole vs. a probiotic with people who have SIBO and functional chronic abdominal distension. The study population consisted of 50 patients with chronic abdominal distension (Rome III criteria) and diagnosis of SIBO made by a lactulose H2 breath test.
The participants were divided into 2 groups, 25 in the metronidazole group and 25 in the probiotic group. The probiotic group received a blend of L. casei, L. plantarum, S. faecalis and B. brevis. Both groups went on the same diet, which consisted in reduced consumption of alcohol, legumes, dairy products and leafy green vegetables.
The results showed that thirteen (52%) subjects receiving metronidazole and twenty (82%) receiving the probiotic showed clinical improvement after the treatment. All the study patients completed treatment. No adverse events leading to treament discontinuation were observed.
Their conclusion was that the probiotics used had a higher efficacy that metronidazol and may prove successful in treating SIBO.
- Block, Eric (2010). Garlic and other Alliums: The Lore and the Science. Publisher: The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge UK.
- Hungin et al (2005). Irritable bowel syndrome in the United States: prevalence, symptoms patterns and impact. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics; 21(11): 1365-1375.
- Jonkers et al. (1997). Effect of Garlic on Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; 43(12): 30-45.
- Lawson LD & Koch HP. (1996). Garlic: The Science and Therapeutic Application of Allium sativum L. and Related Species. Publisher: Williams and Wilkins.
- Pyleris et al. (2012). The Prevalence of Overgrowth by Aerobic Bacteria in the Small Intestine by Small Bowel Culture: Relationship with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Digestive Diseases and Sciences; 57(5): 1321-1329.
- Siebecker A, Sandberg-Lewis S. (2013). Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth: Often-Ignored Cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Townsend Letter; Feb/Mar 2013.
- Soifer LO, Peralta D, Dima G, Besasso H. (2010). Comparative clinical efficacy of a probiotic vs. an antibiotic in the treatment of patients with intestinal bacterial overgrowth and chronic abdominal functional distension: a pilot study. Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam; 40(4): 323–7.
We have developed our products based on scientific research and/or the practical experience of many healthcare practitioners. There is a growing body of literature on food based nutrition and supplements and their application in support of our health. Please use our products under the advisement of your doctor.
|Dr. Bardell’s Approved List of products for beauty, body, and home is a curated list of excellent clean products for the whole family. Personal care and beauty products bring as many toxins to the home as cleaning products. Check out the list: Dr. Bardell’s Approved Products for Beauty, Body and Home.
©2005 – 2020 BioImmersion Inc. All Rights Reserved